Monday, October 25, 2010

Boo!

*Disclaimer: This post is not intended for those with heart conditions, back problems, those who are pregnant, children or anyone with eyeballs.*

In the spirit of Halloween, I present to you the Most Frightening Fabrics Ever Created!

Ok, a little back story. Being that we have been in business for over 40 years, we have amassed a large variety of fabrics. Many are simply beautiful yet others, being from the time they are from, are slightly disturbing.

The Seventies was an interesting time. If the fabrics created then are any indicator, I don't know how anyone got out alive. It's "The Poltergeist", "The Shining" and most of the 70's all wrapped up in one. (You know, the part of the 70's your parents never talked about and still refuse to talk about except as death bed confessions.)

Take this for example,


A perfectly good Italian wool fleece that is warm and would make great throws or jackets. The kitties and fish are sweet, I get it but WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH THE SUN FACE THINGIE?!?!! The scary thing is that I was eating lunch right next to this thing and I had no idea. Spooky. It's like a prop from "Silence of the Lambs". I can imagine it draped over Buffalo Bills couch, something he snuggles into after a hard day of moth propagation and mayhem.

Furthermore,


It isn't the pattern of this fabric per say although green on green sort of makes me seasick but it's the fact that it's DOUBLE KNIT! Argh DOUBLE KNIT! Ooooohhh! This is something that the ghost of "Maude" would wear.

Then there are those fabrics that come straight out of the Eighties. It seems the Seventies had sort of a "Harvest Gold" patina over life. Sort of sweet and only slightly scary but then there were the Eighties where life was NEON.


Oy. This could be cute but unfortunately I'm over the age of 6 so this panel frightens me. You are looking at a fabric that you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley. Only because you will walk out of said alley covered in Lisa Frank stickers, your hair dyed rainbow, humming "Girls Just Want to Have Fun".

THEN this unfortunate vista...


Yeesh. From the neon green Volkswagen Beetles to the brown Navajo print and the neon women sorting what I think are coffee beans (I hope.) and the parrots this fabric looks like it should be in a David Lynch movie. (After he had a couple of strong Mai Tais.)

Granted, these fabrics are utterly frightening but they are sort of like a car crash. You can't help but look. Alas, they all have this certain charm, of high quality materials and made by the best textile mills in the world. Like I always say, "one persons blinding nightmares is anothers' blinding treasure." In other words, don't take my word for it. I'll only demand that I see what you create from these fabrics and I promise I won't laugh!

If you just love these fabrics (and we even have more! Eek.) check out our Etsy site for more Frightening Fabrics!

No comments:

Post a Comment