We have a vintage mannequin in store that we call Midge. Midge is usally kicking around in a sequin tube dress (Which we sell by the way.) but since Halloween is coming up, I thought it would be nice to help her get into the spirit and dress her up accordingly.
The other day she was in the mood for toga. She was feeling very Helen of Troy so we decided to deck her out in the best of Roman finery and it couldn't have been easier.
Here is what I did....
- Take 2-3 yards of opaque fabric with a nice drape. I used a heavy ribbed taffeta. Reminds me of a big version of grosgrain ribbon. All opaque fabric with a drape would work for this. Slinky fabrics like rayon might just be too slinky and will slide.
- Place over shoulder of your choice and let the fabric hang even at the bottom front and back.
- Take the front part of the hanging fabric and put it around your waist and use a safety pin to secure it at the base of you back. Let the back part drape. You can then take some more safety pins and secure it down the back or over your tush. If you know how to sew, pin down the back and make a simple seam.
- Adjust the front fabric over your bust. Might be a good idea to wear a bathing suit or leotard underneath.
- If you wish you can stitch the bottom hem and the back drape with your machine or by hand. I used a blind stitch.
- Take a a cool piece of trim or belt and tie around your waist. The trim I used was white with a silver Roman Key design.
- Make sure all raw edges are folded into the drapes.
- Accessorize with your favorite gladiator sandals, earrings or even a laurel wreath and you are done!
So simple and so much fun. Such a better quality then the stuff you can buy at stores. Also, it doesn't have to be just a toga. You can use this costume to be Cleopatra or even add a corset for a witch's costume and so on.
Here are some other looks Midge tried on! The first photo features a vintage bugle bead, embroidered belt I call the "Lady Gaga Belt". Makes it feel sort of Egyptian. The second photo has a more elaborate vintage belt that has a velcro back perfect for the look. Both belts sell at $10 at our store!
So if you are interested in any of the fabric, trim or belts featured here in this post, please do not hesitate to contact us by phone, store or our Etsy shop. Those belts are just too cool and you can not beat the price!
So have fun and stay tuned for more easy to make Halloween costumes. :)